Friday Fashion – The Denim Skirt

Fashionable & mum rarely sit next to each other in a sentence. When looking for everyday clothes my agenda is normally to find something comfortable that washes well. Since being on Maternity Leave with a very strict budget my choice of designer clothes have been Oxfam & Heart Foundation but on Monday I dug deep into my penny jar and went upmarket to Primark. I basically had £30 to update my wardrobe with a few key pieces that could be swapped & changed for all occasions.Having stood & read all the fashion magazines in WH Smith this gave me an idea to see how I could use 1 item for 3 different occasions.All 3 looks are based on a dark denim skirt £10.00 from Primark. I have added a few bits from my own wardrobe to help style the looks fully.

• Occasion 1 – Lunch With The Girls

Shirt  Primark £6  Pumps Superga £27.50 Very   Bag Michael Kors £150

Stylish but comfortable this look would work for any day occasion. For the breast feeding ladies simply add a vest top underneath for easy but unexposed access.

• Occasion 2 – Night Out

Top Primark £6  Necklace Primark £1 Shoes  DP £17  Bag Vivienne Westwood £120

The top is a total bargain at £6 and can be worn on or off the shoulder.With the skirt being knee length you can get away with baring a bit of décolletage. Add a simply necklace to finish off the outfit.

• Occasion 3 – School Run ( quick outfit to pull on )

Top Primark  £2.50  Glitter Pumps Primark  £5  Bag Topshop £15    Necklace Gift

This outfit is for a mummy on the run when you have 3 minutes to get dressed and get out the door. In winter add a jumper & some black tights. I had to have the sequin pumps, they Jazz up any boring outfit .

I hope this gives you some inspiration & shows that looking “fashionable” doesn’t have to cost a fortune. Let me know if you like this type of blog and it will give me an excuse to go shopping again 😉

Share:

36 Comments

1. August 20, 2016 / 9:23 am

Your school run outfit is more trendy than my going out outfit. Looking good #justanotherlinky

August 21, 2016 / 7:55 pm

Thanks. I think I needed to improve my style around the other mummy’s in the playground. Thanks for commenting

August 21, 2016 / 7:54 pm

I couldn’t believe it was only £6. I have a similar one in blue and had it for 18 months and washes really well so definitely getting my moneys worth. Thanks for commenting

2. August 20, 2016 / 5:52 pm

Oh wow! You’ve just reminded me that I have a denim skirt exactly like this is my wardrobe. I have had it about 10 years and it’s from Pilot… Does Pilot even make clothes anymore? I must dig it out as I could totally wear this on the school run. Would make a fantastic change from just jeans all the time.

I love your outfit choices here!

Thank you for linking up with #JustAnotherLinky

Laura x x x

August 21, 2016 / 7:52 pm

Just call your skirt Vintage and you are Uber cool. I was so fed up with jeans and wearing gym gear to do the school run I needed to refresh my wardrobe . Thanks for commenting

3. August 20, 2016 / 8:41 pm

Gorgeous outfits, especially love the night time one. I’ve just had a baby so can’t wait to go on a shopping spree when my body gets back to normal! #justanotherlinky

August 21, 2016 / 7:48 pm

My 1st night out after my 1st baby I had 2 pairs of spanx on and 2 extra thick breast pads gaffer taped to my boobs to stop leaks. I’m not kidding ! I also wore a playsuit so my friend had to keep coming in the loo with me to help me get in & out of it to pee . Sorry TMI !!!! Thanks for commenting

4. August 21, 2016 / 10:46 am

Very trendy outfits, I like how the skirt can be so versitile. I haven’t shopped in Primark for a while, but I know they have some great clothes and good prices.
    Amanda. #kcacols

August 21, 2016 / 7:45 pm

It’s quick , there’s one on every high-street and its low cost. I did my shop with an 11 month old so that meant I had 20 minutes to complete all purchases before she would get ratty sat in her pram. Thanks for commenting

5. August 21, 2016 / 11:08 am

Love these, you just can’t beat Primark for a quick (and cheap) trend injection to your wardrobe! Love the versatility of a denim skirt. #KCACOLS

August 21, 2016 / 7:43 pm

Well when you are on a budget and shopping with an 11 month old you need 1 shop to buy everything in and Primark ticks all the boxes. Thanks for the comment

6. August 21, 2016 / 1:07 pm

love these ideas 🙂 im rubbish with clothes and always wear the same dreary things! #KCACOLS

August 21, 2016 / 7:42 pm

I have been stuck in a clothing rut for ages and poor as a church mouse. I kid you not that I emptied the penny jar to pay for my Primark shop. I’m really pleased with my finds and trying that bit harder to look a bit smarter. I think the mums in the playground though I lived in joggy bottoms X

7. August 21, 2016 / 1:35 pm

Lovely ideas – it’s got me wanting to pop to the shops and get a denim skirt now as my current one is about 20yrs old! #justanotherlinky

August 21, 2016 / 7:38 pm

Vintage is the word you are looking for and actually most of the skirts I saw in the shops where denim acid wash. Very 1980’s .Get it out and style it up X

8. August 21, 2016 / 6:54 pm

I wish I could pull off a denim skirt! I love what you’ve teamed it with. Thanks for linking up to the #BinkyLinky

August 21, 2016 / 7:37 pm

Thanks for having me !! I didn’t think I would be able to pull one off either with my mummy tummy but it’s actually really slimming.

9. Nige
    August 21, 2016 / 7:53 pm

Some lovely choices there Thanks for linking to the #binkylinky come back next week please

August 21, 2016 / 7:59 pm

Thanks for having me . See you again next week

10. August 21, 2016 / 7:54 pm

All of these look great! The lunch with the girls outfit it my favourite, I love checked shirts and the bag is gorgeous! Love posts like this 🙂 #justanotherlinky

August 21, 2016 / 7:59 pm

I’m just trying a few different types of blog on my site and the fashion ones seem to go down really well. Just another excuse to go shopping . Thanks for commenting

11. August 25, 2016 / 1:05 pm

Such great looks! Thanks for linking up to #TheList x (it would be great if you could add our badge x)

August 25, 2016 / 1:13 pm

Thanks for your comments X Your badge is the top one on my side bar 🙂 If you want it somewhere else just let me know.

12. August 26, 2016 / 3:48 pm

Such lovely outifts. I would love to have the figure to pull that skirt off!
    Thank you for linking up to #justanotherlinky

August 28, 2016 / 5:31 am

Im sure you do !! It’s just all about showing the bits you like and hiding the bits you don’t and if all else fail a big pair of Spanx 🙂 Thanks for the comments

13. August 29, 2016 / 7:37 am

Oh my word I absolutely love looks 1 and 3. Unfortunately my generous hips make denim skirts a no go for me – might have to switch for a jersey skirt ? Thanks for inspo #fortheloveofblog

August 29, 2016 / 8:19 am

I say try a few different styles on. You might be surprised. Lot’s more fashion posts to come.

14. September 1, 2016 / 11:56 am

I was in Cardiff, by myself, last week and wandered in to the huge Primark there and had a great time wandering round the whole place. I only bought a couple of things but it was so nice to just see what was ‘in’ at the moment, and I was amused at how 90s so much of it was! x #KCACOLS

September 2, 2016 / 10:20 am

Im rocking my denim skirt today with a blue flannel shirt , it’s actually really comfy and practical for a day’s mummy work. Thanks for commenting

15. September 2, 2016 / 9:31 pm

All very different looks. I like that it’s not expensive too. Easy to dress up or dress down 🙂 #KCACOLS

September 3, 2016 / 9:18 pm

I basically have to raid the penny jar everytime i want to go shopping so Primark really is my Prada ! Thanks for the comments X

16. September 5, 2016 / 5:37 pm

Ooh nice! Love the skirt and what a bargain at £10. There is lots of scope to be versatile with that, and I like all the outfit choices you have made there. Thanks so much for linking up at #fortheloveofBLOG. Claire x

17. September 9, 2016 / 9:27 pm

Love this concept!I’m a fan of mixing and matching it up and the dark denim goes so well with everything you’ve chosen. Bravo! x

Kat

18. January 7, 2017 / 12:56 pm

Love these looks, my favourite is the one with the stripy top. A denim skirt is always my holiday staple!
    Debbie

19. January 7, 2017 / 9:58 pm

I love look number one. That bag! I do like a splash of yellow x