I can hear you all groaning ‘I can’t run ‘, ‘I don’t like running ‘, ‘It’s boring’. These are all the things I said before I gave it a go. Now I’m not trying to say I am Mo Farrow but with time I have progressed to the level that I entered and completed a local ½ marathon.
Here me looking pretty proud of myself –
I am not a natural runner or sporty in the slightest bit. As a child, I was a ballet dancer and in my 20’s my only form of exercise was running around the handbag department of Selfridges at the beginning of a sale. I have no clue why I started running, but just like Forrest Gump one day I put on a pair of trainers and I haven’t stopped since. The great thing about running is you don’t need any equipment, you don’t need a partner (though one is always nice) and the main benefit for me is it clears your head of all the stresses and strains of the day. If you have ever fancied giving running a go then here’s 10 ways to get started.
- Sign up for the Couch to 5K challenge or download the App.
- Rope in a friend, neighbour, relative, to join you.
- Make a running schedule and stick to it. If you say you are going to run on a Monday and Wednesday, go for a run on a Monday & Wednesday. No excuses!!
- Grab your mates and sign up for a ‘fun run’. I did 2 this year which were the Trinity 3K Colour Splash & 5K Gung Ho.
- Just start by running around the block.‘The journey of 1,000 miles starts with just 1 step ‘ Lao Tzu
- You don’t need expensive trainers, I got mine from an Asics outlet store for £29.00
- Fuel up on a banana or a small portion of porridge an hour before you go out and stay hydrated with plenty of water.
- Join a running club. Most clubs have a beginner’s lesson and that’s exactly where I started.
- No one to look after the kids on a Saturday morning? Take them with you. Here’s my 2 in our Out N About Nipper double buggy. ( I only ever have a gentle jog on flat ground while pushing this)
- The simplest of all just put on a pair of trainers and go.
* Always check with your doctor before starting any new exercise
I hope you have enjoyed reading today’s blog and it has inspired you to give running a go. It really is enjoyable and if you still need convincing here’s the before and after of how running helped me lose my baby weight earlier this year.
Let me know if you are a runner or have ever wanted to try it. Comment below.