‘’Look For The Helpers. You Will Always See People Who Are Helping’’

I am sat on the train to London for a business meeting. Am I worried after yesterday’s attacks? Yes. Am I worried every time I travel to London? Yes, but I still get on the train and go. It was only 2 months ago that a large bomb plot in Manchester was foiled only streets away from my offices. To not carry on with everyday life would be giving into the fear they want to create.

Anyone who has read my blog will know I work in the business travel industry and within minutes of the attack we were alerted and watching the live updates. My colleagues regularly travel around London for meetings and I have clients who have offices only minutes away so it was a frantic few hours making sure everyone was safe and o.k.

By the time I got home last night it was late and after putting Charley to bed I thought long and hard about putting the news on with Harry sitting there. As a mum I want to wrap my babies up in cotton wool and never let them see the ugly side of the modern-day world we live in but that’s not reality and like teaching your child how to swim or cross the road today was a day I had to prepare my child for the world he was growing up in. I did not focus on the evil or use words like ‘bad man’. I told Harry to look at the Paramedic’s, the Police Officers, the passersby who stopped to help, Tobias Ellwood The MP who gave Police Officer Keith Palmer mouth to mouth and stemmed the blood flow until the air ambulance arrived. I told Harry about the Heroes. This does not make what happened any less of a tragedy but while the media wanted to focus on the darkness of the attack I wanted my son to see the shining lights that are the emergency services who everyday risk their lives so we can ‘carry on with everyday life’. As I left the kids this morning I gave them a big kiss and an extra-long hug, just because I could. This morning Keith Palmers family are waking up to the 1st day without that luxury. He died so we could ‘carry on with everyday life’.

9 Comments

1. March 27, 2017 / 6:51 am

I read this when you first posted it and found it really helpful. i too am afraid, but I believe most people are good and hope that will provail. #postsfromtheheart

2. March 27, 2017 / 9:49 am

This is lovely and I agree , the only thing we can do in these times is focus on the good people , the heroes and the helpers #postsfromtheheart

3. March 27, 2017 / 10:08 am

It’s so easy to forget the good people in this situation when the bad is being rammed down our throats.
    I shall certainly try to remember this. Thanks #postsfromtheheart

4. March 27, 2017 / 10:39 am

I love this quote and it is one that I always remind myself off at times like this. It’s so hard to explain bad things like this to children, but reminding them of all of the good people in the world is the best way to reassure them. And in all honesty, the best way to reassure us too. #postsfromtheheart

5. March 27, 2017 / 11:34 am

I’ve linked up with a post I wrote about the attack this week. I felt compelled to write something as like you I really feel that we shouldn’t give the attackers what they want but focus on the true human spirit that emerged in the people that stopped to help. I also truly believe that our children can change things and stop the hate that is choking parts of the world as long as we bring them up in environments of love, tolerance and respect. #PostsFromtheHeart

6. March 28, 2017 / 1:34 pm

Great post. I too had second thoughts on whether to put the news on the TV after the attack. I love the “Look for the Helpers” ethos – in times of crisis and danger they are always there, and they are just ordinary folk like you and me. That’s who we should strive to be and to help our kids to become too x #PostsFromTheHeart

7. April 2, 2017 / 3:51 pm

I love this post so much, it’s so important to focus on the good that is in the world. It is something that is so often forgotten.

8. April 2, 2017 / 4:25 pm

This is very similar to a post I wrote on the same subject – I’ve been honest with BB and told her what happened as this is the world she’s growing up in #postsfromtheheart

9. April 27, 2017 / 5:15 pm

Why is it important to be kind? I think the world would be in utter chaos without it. It helps us develop as families, societies, and as a human race. It makes us aware and more in tune with those around us. When we are kind, we are helpful, motivating, inspiring, loving and bringing positivity to the world.