So What’s Your Backup Plan ?

So What Is Your Backup Plan ?

I read a comment recently on the Digital Mums Facebook page ( The people I am doing my Social Media Management Course with )  after they shared my Why I Am Giving Up My Corporate Career post, It read ………

”To be able to walk away from 40k you must have had a good backup plan . This training does not guarantee a salary anything like that on graduation. I think a clearer view of the full story is needed here ”

At first, I was a little upset as that post was me baring my soul after a very hard decision but now when I read it more than a week since it was posted I feel annoyed. I feel annoyed that someone was questioning my decision, a decision that took months to finally make, a decision that I tried so hard not to have to make, but ultimately a decision that for my own sanity I had to make. Now don’t get my wrong I wrote the post and promoted it on my own social media platforms and as part of it have to allow people their own opinion. Had this person commented they thought I was mad it would be fine but to dismiss my dreams and ambitions because of my present salary really P*sses me off. Because I earn a decent salary should I not want more for myself?

So, What Is My Back Up Plan?

I don’t have one. I have a plan of action, but I don’t have a backup plan.I believe I can make this work for me and my family. I am giving up a stable salary and some of the luxuries in my life but I will be gaining so much more. The chance to really see if I can set up and run my own business, to be able to work around my children and not have to have them passed from one relative to another while I burn myself out travelling across the country. I will be doing a job I love and feel passionate about. My backup plan is ME and for anyone looking to leave their job to go it alone, you have to believe you can succeed. No one goes into a marriage thinking about divorce and no one starts a new job thinking they may fail. I don’t have a rich husband and nor would I want to be a kept wife. I want to be able to earn a decent living doing something I enjoy and at the same time spend more quality time with my children & husband.

I don’t think I can be any clearer, do you?

Share:

6 Comments

1. July 17, 2017 / 8:26 am

Well said lovely. You do what’s right for our and your family and ignore what anyone else says. I think what you’re doing is amazing and with your positive attitude I’m sure you can make it work xx #postsfromtheheart

2. July 17, 2017 / 3:06 pm

Absolutely. Life is too short to stay in a job that doesn’t make you happy or worse makes you miserable. Obviously you’re not going to give up a stable career on a whim but sometimes you have to take a leap of faith. It just so happens it’s faith in yourself. #postsfromtheheart

3. July 17, 2017 / 4:40 pm

Haha. I’m laughing because I have never had one and never bowed to the pressure of a culture that tells you need to tick this, this and this box. You know when you feel happy and when you’re feeling joy, when you are doing the things that bring these feeling out, then keep on doing that. This is my plan and the only plan that makes sense. Anything else is a waste of time. #PostsFromTheHeart

4. July 17, 2017 / 7:50 pm

Good for you. I’ve never really cared what other people think and I’ve always pretty much done whatever I wanted. I’ve never had a back up plan in my life! I moved to Tanzania 8 years ago with $300 in my bank and now have a successful business. Soooo many people said I couldn’t do it. Do whatever makes you happy and is best for your family, lifes too short not to. Good luck!!! #PostsFromTheHeart

5. July 18, 2017 / 10:05 pm

Good for you! I have no back up plan either, infact I have never had a back up plan, or even sometimes A plan…but I think that sometimes you just have to take that risk even when it’s really scary! Good luck! #postsfromtheheart

6. July 19, 2017 / 6:51 pm

Oh good luck. I think many things end up being done without a back-up plan in reality. Sometimes, you’ve just got to jump. #postsfromtheheart