Fancy a pizza but don’t fancy the calories? Hungry, bored children? Then look no further than the humble pitta bread to rescue you. Make it as simple or topping packed as you want but the pitta pizza ticks all the boxes. Get the kids making them and throw a blanket down for an instant indoor picnic. Takes minutes to make & as yummy as any takeaway pizza.What you will need (per person )
- 1Wholewheat Pitta Bread
- 1Tablespoon of Tomato Purée
- 1 Handful of Grated cheese (mozzarella is good too )
- Any other topping you like. We added ham today but my personal favourite is tuna & sweetcorn.
How to make –
- Put all ingredients into separate bowls (This will make it easier for little hands)
- Put pitta’s in the toaster for 1 minute and then put to one side to cool slightly. Toasting helps stop a soggy base and no one likes a soggy base !!
- Once cooled dollop a tablespoon of tomato purée onto each pitta and spread all the way to the edges.
- Now get the kids to decorate them with the desired topping. They tend to turn into Pablo Picasso at this point so let them get on with it and enjoy a brew/wine 😜
- Now just sprinkle a handful of cheese over the top and pop under a grill until the cheese has melted ( approx 3-5 mins )
- Then remove, let cool slightly and cut into pieces.
This recipe works for anyone looking for a low-calorie treat, fussy eater children, weaning baby’s (10mths+), basically anyone who loves a pizza.
Stick an old blanket down, get the kid’s teddy bears out and you have an instant teddy bears picnic that will keep them quiet for at least 1/2 hour. The Joy !!!
I hope you have enjoyed today’s recipe. If you liked it then please leave me a little comment below & like my FB page ( Link Below ) 😉