I’m being rather brave in posting pictures of my post baby tummy so please be kind to me. I’m still about 6lbs away from my target weight and due to holidays & a very unsettled baby I had a 3-week break from the gym & God have I missed it !!!!! I use the gym as my ‘ happy place ‘, away from kids, husbands & the odd hunky bodybuilder to perv on never hurts 👍 I’m not sporty but enjoy running and most of the time I can be found on the Stair Master stepping away while watching YouTube videos. Since having Charley in September I have lost 2.4 stone.I lost the weight the old-fashioned way by still eating /drinking what I wanted but just in smaller portions and basically getting off my bum and moving. Below are 10 ways I used to loose a bit of jelly…
- Buggyfit – As the name describes this class is brilliant for mums with little ones as you can take them along in their buggies.The classes are run by specialist trainers who are qualified in postnatal fitness and take place in public parks nationwide. I think I paid £3 a class so it’s cheap too!
- Set up a mummy pram walking group – A walking group was set up in my area by a lovely lady who wanted to meet a few new mums and get a bit of exercise. What was started with 1 person now has 700 members and 2-3 walks per week taking place?If you are on the Fylde Coast then check out – Fylde Mums & Babies Walking Group on Facebook or take inspiration to set up your own group.
- Exercise with a friend – This is probably my No1 tip.Plan a time each week to meet and stick to it. Not only will it make you not want to let the other one down but you will spur each other on.
- Use free gym passes – Most gyms will offer 1 day passes to prospective members. Some offer up to 7 days to trial their facilities. I think I tried 6 different gyms in 3 weeks and signed up none! I’m now a member of the YMCA but joined well after my little freebie sessions.
- Subscribe to fitness channels on YouTube-Craving a cream cake? Watch a fitness Vlog on YouTube and I guarantee you will be reaching for a watermelon smoothie before you know it. A few channels I can recommend – Jen Howard, Heidi Somers, Naomi Smart & Carly Rowena
- Swimming -Nice and simple. Very gentle on the joints and a great first step back into exercise. Most pools have a ladies only session perfect for anyone feeling a bit self-conscience.
- Couch to 5K– Now I can hear the shouts of ” I can’t run ” & “I could never do a 5k ” but even Mo Farrah had to start somewhere. I followed this programme a couple of years ago and can now do 8 miles comfortably and if you really fancy giving it a go then enter a 5k fun run for the end of the programme to keep you hitting the pavement.
- 7-minute workout app – There are lots of different free apps to download on your phone and do in the privacy of your own home. Most require no equipment and offer different levels of difficulty to fit in with your fitness level.
- Have a baby seat added to your bike – For anyone with a baby older than 8 months this is a fab way to tone up your legs and enjoy some nice fresh air & scenery. I took my bike to my local Halfords and they fitted the seat free of charge and did a little service to check over the tyres & breaks. They even put my bike back in the boot for me 💪🏻
- Put music on & dance -And if all else fails and the baby has been up all night and the thought of leaving your house is just too much to bare then stick on some music and dance.Loose yourself in the music and get those endorphins pumping. My favourites to dance to inc The Killers – Mr Brightside, Judge Jules -2009 Ibiza Mix and excuse the pun Faithless – I can’t get no sleep 😝
I hope you enjoyed today’s blog and it’s given you some ideas & motivation.Never feel rushed to start exercising and listen to your body. I know how hard it is to make the 1st move back into exercising but as a very wise man ( must have been women really ) ” The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step “.